Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Snorey McSnoreSnore

I am a BEAR if you wake me up in the middle of the night. Especially to my own family. When my kids were babies I breastfed them for 12 - 15 months depending on the kid and the circumstance. When I would first have the baby I'd wake up and be so happy to nurse and to love them in the middle of the night. Then after awhile I'd get to the point where I wouldn't hear them so we soon fell into a routine that Jonathan would go get the screamer, bring them to me, I would sit up, nurse usually lolling back and forth because I couldn't stay awake then hand the baby back to Jon and he would take them back to bed. I would be out again as soon as my head hit the pillow. Little did I know that the kid didn't always go right back to sleep so he would stay awake until they did. Which makes him an awesome husband!

And the nighttime parent.

The kids know not to come to my side of the bed at night for fear of being growled at. I don NOT like to be awakened in the middle of the night. Ever. When they were little and would come in to our room he would have them lay on his side of the bed as far away from me as possible. I'm hardly nurturing in the daytime and even less so in the night.

Anyway. The point is: I don't like to be awakened in the night.

The hubs has over the last few years started snoring. He has gained some weight as we all do over 19 years of marriage and with it has come the snore. It doesn't matter if he's laying on his right side, his left side, or his back. He's snoring. And it's not a quiet snuffling, it's an all out snore.

I've learned over the years that if I can get to sleep before he starts snoring then I can sleep through a whole night's worth of snoring and never wake up. But if I wake up and he's snoring it can take a long time for me to get back to sleep.

I should poke him and tell him to turn over or something but I don't. I CHOOSE to lay there and be a martyr about it. I will toss and turn and get madder and madder because I don't want to disturb HIS sleep by asking him to turn over. I lay there and huff and puff and flip and flop, sometimes violently to see if he will wake up. Last night I got up and made a lot of noise by grabbing my pillow, getting a blanket out of the hall closet and going downstairs to sleep on the couch. I love to sleep on my couch but of course I was too indignant to do so last night. Finally I had had enough and went back upstairs with my pillow and got back into bed with more huffing and puffing and grumbling and grouching to the hubs that he "was snoring and I can't sleep and it's not fair and ....blah blah blah."

This morning I woke up and apologized for being a bear in the middle of the night. He said, "Why didn't you just wake me up and tell me to turn over?" I said, "Because, I didn't want to disturb YOU."

Still the martyr.

1 comment:

  1. I can't stand snoring! Thus I made my husband get one of those c-pap machines. He sleeps so much better and so do I. And I don't have to poke at him and growl at him to roll over constantly. Plus? No more sleep rage. Love it.

    Only problem is now my 10 year old has started to snore. I have to wear ear plugs when we travel. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete